Thursday, August 27, 2009

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Alice in Wonderland

England's visual semantics
Remember me. Its muddled mix
splashes on my fogged eye-screen,
rubs out my name, pales what I've seen:
Zimbabwe. Home, strange colour Queen.

Here bands of grey, blank gaunt grey bands
are the pure snow white of Milton's land.
the welcome gate winks, wedged half-wide
and I the daughter crawl inside;

A displaced ghost, the stars' lost child,
returning (eyes less blue, less mild)
Now cliffs of smoke cloud billow, tame
the slits of shy sky blue; the same
strained glass that import guns cracked black,
and shot down onto Alice's back.

my chanting pulse remembers screams
not nature's natives, lost in dreams.
The sky's the same though I'm disowned
in this grey wonderland: not home.

No comments:

Post a Comment